Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Free software project grants

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] RFC: Free software project grants
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:10:47 +0100

On 2003-10-17 11:17:12 +0100 Marc Eberhard <address@hidden> wrote:

I would hope, that it will usually be the second. My idea is to offer advice
throughout the application process in contrast to research councils.

I think this may be hard to do in an open and fair manner, unless you issue the same advice simultaneously to all candidates. I'm not keen on "when money is available" being a possible decision.

The whole application process is considered to be strictly
confidential up to the point a grant is awarded.

Can we ask for a public abstract as part of the application, which gives only very broad details, so that we can get general member opinions? Applications may choose not to include it if they want to be totally private and we just publish "Application AFFS-G-2003-91: No abstract" so that people know there is an application in there, etc. I think this balances both desires.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden