Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Marketing] FLOSS called "unstoppable" by IBM exec]

From: PFJ
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: [Marketing] FLOSS called "unstoppable" by IBM exec]
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:56:45 +0100

Hi,

> In the marketing war exaggeration and counter are all par for the
> course. The fact is that Goverments and large industries around the
> world are considering FLOSS to a much greater extent than anytime
> previously. The whole industry is based on confidence so if you want
> FLOSS to get in as quickly as possible, just keep building that
> confidence, every little helps, and any under-mining of that confidence
> is a hindrance. This is only a rational process in the sense that it
> needs to target the irrational emotions of humans.

True. If you have a look at Linux.org, you'll see the number of very
large firms moving over to using open source/free software is getting
larger by the day. It's also encouraging to see that very few people are
taking SCO seriously (and many have realised the whole point of the SCO
sabre rattle is to push SCO's share price up!).

I had a fantastic email last night from a chap in Brazil who is looking
to implement Scribus over a large number of desktop machines in both
education *and* industry as companies wishing to remain on the right
side of the law can no longer justify the expense of the MS and Quark
routes. There may even be some money in it (and a trip to Brazil)!!!!

TTFN

Paul

--
Free your mind to a time where a company does not have control
Free your mind to a choice of applications which you can control