Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:37:57 +0000

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 18:03, Chris Croughton wrote:

> I'm tempted to move to China, or one of the South American countries
> which is heavily promoting FLOSS for government use <g>.

If it is for the software or related services you could subscribe from
here. I am sure the prices will be competetive apart from supporting the
spread of freedoms in software.

> Well, I wouldn't work for MS if you paid me.
I would, just like an increasing number of others (for gratis on top of
it!) as long as the solution respects the users freedoms that have been
traditionally denied in their products so far.
(currently looking at Uniscribe ... a very neat product from MS itself
... Mozilla uses it better than IE in many cases)

> Red Hat is not a good example (it
> seems to me that they are breaking the spirit of FLOSS

Please, can you explain what is the spirit of FLOSS broken by Redhat?

> even if not the
> letter of the licence).

Ramanan

PS: Ian keep going ... very informative and thought provoking stuff.