Re: VB was Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: VB was Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 08:25:48 +0000

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:51:59PM +0000, Martyn wrote:

> I'd just like to point out that Lazarus is getting pretty damn good, so those
> that might think that fast Free Software Development is not easy enough are
> aware that it exists and works well.
>
> http://lazarus.freepascal.org/

Unfortunately it is now saying:

  Due to a hacker compromising this system all web sites served by this
  system will be down. A new router is being installed along with a new
  server and an upgraded OS. All sites should be returning to normal in
  the next 24 - 48 hours.

I hadn't heard of it before, so I can't check it out.  I can get the
home page from the Google cache but it doesn't say much about it (implies
it uses Pascal, which was pretty obvious from the site name anyway, and
that since it uses Gtk it has something to do with GUI stuff which was
obvious from the context in which you recommended it).  I find this
problem with a lot of software sites, you have to dig down for
information which should be the first thing presented ("What is it?" is
important information for someone who runs across the site, a changelog
isn't).  Not just free software, although sourceforge is a major culprit
in that area...

Chris C