Re: [Fsfe-uk] Amusing BBC interview.

From: Telsa Gwynne
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Amusing BBC interview.
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:35:38 +0000

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:16:48PM +0000 or thereabouts, Chris Croughton wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:25:43AM +0000, P.L.Hayes wrote:
>
> Going by the BBCi News/Technology section it looks as though they are
> quite anti-Linux, all of the recent articles there have been slanted as
> though SCO is in the right.  For instance the new (16 Jan) article
> "Linux users face licence cash call": "Users who do not buy a licence to
> use Linux could end up in court as the origins of the software are
> contested", which is not only 'old' news (except that Europe has now
> been included) but doesn't mention that SCO have shown in their latest
> deposition that they have no 'evidence' at all and are now trying to
> claim that anything written for AIX -- or even OS/2! -- is theirs.

Source for the OS/2 bit?

Looking at the results of searching for Linux on the BBC news site:
http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=newsukfs&tab=news&q=linux

..I wouldn't say "they are quite anti-Linux" at all.

Especially not when I look at Netcraft and see that
they (the BBC) are running Linux themselves.

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=news.bbc.co.uk

Yes, there is one columnist who doesn't seem too keen, but
one person does not a department policy make. John Naughton
used to write for the Guardian "Online" section, but I don't
think it would have been fair to extrapolate from that to
say that the Guardian were (or are) very pro-Linux.

Telsa