Re: [Fsfe-uk] Amusing BBC interview.

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Amusing BBC interview.
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:24:40 +0000

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Or can someone give us a one sentence summary so we can decide if it's
> worth listening too as opposed to the `I can't believe what I was
> hearing' which might mean it's good news or bad.

Paraphrasing......

A lot of businesses use unlicenced software in the UK

You never actually own our members software you just pay for a licence
to use.

We usually use civil actions, but if we can persuade the police (CPS) to
act (seems unlikely to me they have enough to do with property and
violent crime to deal much with matters that can be dealt with in the
civil courts), you may be raided, hardware conviscated etc etc.

We've just seen the first increase in use of unlicenced software for
years, so we are going to come down like a ton of bricks on the
directors of british businesses who use unlicenced software.

... around this point realplayer for Linux stopped, no idea if that was
all of it, Real's Linux support isn't terribly good. The presenter made
some curious comments about the software industry being a good business
as you get to licence the same thing many times, the FAST guy pointed
out that's publishing...

Good news or bad news - well I think any attempt to enforce stricter
software licencing is good for free software. However FAST's approach -
join us - speak with some expensive consultants - get an auditing tool
in - pay the difference - isn't good for the organisations involved, or
free software.

>>(I can d/l sound files with wget and play them on another machine but
>>can't do realtime-to-sound, and RA doesn't allow downloading as far as
>>I know.)

The BBC site is allowing you to download this as a RAM file, not their
usual streaming only.