[Fsfe-uk] swpat: illegal?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] swpat: illegal?
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:32:27 +0100

An interesting point of view?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2004-04-22 23:35:04 +0100
From: Christian Beauprez <address@hidden>
Subject: Software Patenting is illegal

Dear Sirs,

As someone who studied law and as a programmer I have taken these issues to heart and conducted extensive research into the subject of international obligations and "software inventions"

I wanted to bring to your attention the fact that such software patenting is in breach of international agreements namely the Berne Convenetion, WIPO Copyright, and the TRIPS Treaty despite what many IP lawyers would have us believe. (The European Communities and the US signed these treaties)

I gave a speech on this at the FFII conference in the EU Parliament and wanted to make sure that people understand this. My speech comes with hyperlinked footnotes linking to all the relevant treaties so that people can see for themselves and make their own minds up.

You can find it at:

http://www.beauprez.net/softpat/ffii-talk140404.html

For your reference I have added a compliance chart that shows conformity to these obligations showing both Parliament and Council proposals.

http://www.beauprez.net/softpat/compliance.html

I have also written a "dream directive" that shows how simple it is to have a directive on "computer implemented inventions" that would allow inventions with teachings to applied natural science while disallowing pure software patentability.

http://www.beauprez.net/softpat/dreamdirective.html

Kindest Regards,

Christian Beauprez