[Fsfe-uk] Liberated software

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 12:55:51 +0100

Sam Liddicott wrote:
I've been scatching my head on the way to work this morning on this one.  Free is as precise as "love" is in english (same word masks the various meanings from altruistic to erotic).
FLOSS is possibily a word that would do. Libre was the best word I could come up with but it's hardly common usage.

Its a shame, but free just doesn't communicate properly.

How about "liberated software"? Liberty is still recognized as an important concept, and allows people to understand the main issues surrounding free software.
1) Liberated software helps make you free (something shares benefit)
2) Some people want to lock up liberated software (someone tries to remove a freedom)

Also the phrase "liberated software" raises a question which can be answered with the above points.
The trouble with "free software" is that people already think they know what it means.

Sam