Re: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software

From: Andy Kilner
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Liberated software
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:24:07 +0100

On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 13:44, Chris Croughton wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 12:55:51PM +0100, Sam Liddicott wrote:
>
> > The trouble with "free software" is that people already think they know
> > what it means.
>
> Yes, that's my point exactly (in about a tenth of the words I used!).
> "Liberated Software" does sound rather as though it was once captive
> (software I write has never been non-free), but apart from that it
> sounds good...
>
> Chris C

"It is a requirement of various international conventions on copyright
that copyright should be automatic with no need to register."
http://www.intellectual-property.gov.uk/std/faq/copyright/auto_protection.htm

Software you write is borne into captivity. When you distribute it under
a copyleft license you liberate it.
--
Andy Kilner <address@hidden>