Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU swpat - Ag and Fish attempt 2

From: Philip Hands
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU swpat - Ag and Fish attempt 2
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:37:04 +0000

Roger Leigh wrote:
Philip Hands <address@hidden> writes:

MJ Ray wrote:

Tom Potts let ALUG know that the swpat directive has been put up to the
Ag and Fish council again, after Poland blocked it in December. Link-heavy
page is at http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050121034203123

Just been on the phone to DEFRA, and it seems that the contact details
for Margaret Beckett (our minister in question as far as I can work
out) is:

  address@hidden

I suggest we fill her mailbox with a storm of protest.

What exactly does Agriculture and Fisheries have to do with software
patents?  Surely that council is responsible for agriculture and
fisheries?

I think that's rather the point.

The sneaky lawyers who want to get rich by parasitising our industry were hoping that the dumb farmers wouldn't notice that this directive was being shoved through their council.

Thankfully, last time they tried that the Polish minister was awake enough to tell them where to shove their directive. Clearly they intend to keep on trying in the hope that eventually they'll get away with it. It seems that if everyone in the room gently snores through the entire meeting, it gets accepted by default --- isn't EC politics great? ;-)

That being the case, it's probably best to make sure that our minister gets the impression that MPs and MEPs are watching what they're doing. It would be good if she were prompted to ask why it is that a patent directive is being misdirected through the Agriculture and Fisheries route for a second try. To that end, I've written the Secretary of State, and to my MP and a couple of my MEPs.

For getting in touch with MP/MEPs you may find this helpful:

  http://www.writetothem.com/

Cheers, Phil.