Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU swpat - Ag and Fish attempt 2

From: Philip Hands
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] EU swpat - Ag and Fish attempt 2
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:07:02 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:
On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 00:37 +0000, Philip Hands wrote:

What exactly does Agriculture and Fisheries have to do with software
patents?  Surely that council is responsible for agriculture and
fisheries?

I think that's rather the point.

The sneaky lawyers who want to get rich by parasitising our industry were hoping that the dumb farmers wouldn't notice that this directive was being shoved through their council.

I don't think that's quite the case

Yeah, I know, but once I'd typed the above, it struck me as an amusing spin to put on the whole thing, that might provoke people to actually go and have a look at what was occurring.

[...]
I don't think anything underhanded was going on, beyond the fact that
> the original discussion was flawed.

I agree absolutely, but the fact that the original discussion was flawed, and that the people representing the pro-patent position intentionally muddy the waters with their "technical effect"s and "as such"s makes the whole thing underhanded from the outset, so ascribing evil intent to them at every step seems entirely fair to me. Especially when they're trying to squeeze the directive through before anyone has chance to object, which appears to be the case here.

I believe the Polish action is to enable the EP JURI ctte to ask that
the process be restarted, if indeed that is what they want to do (they
wouldn't have the chance otherwise). The Council really aren't going to
want to rediscuss their position, so it seems like the easiest way out
at the moment...

That indeed seems to be the case.

Cheers, Phil.