Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: EGB Feb Seminar: E-Government and the Gershon Effici

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: EGB Feb Seminar: E-Government and the Gershon Efficiency Review]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 19:46:41 +0000

Richard wrote:
> someone to present a case-study of their council running
> Free Software, and making big savings (as a byproduct, on
> top of all the other benefits of Free Software).

Yes, that would be great. I think it would be in AFFS's interest to
support anyone doing so, as far as we can, wouldn't it?

Other than the few which have appeared in the press (Nottingham?), I
guess we should look at tricky areas like local authority web sites.
They have a raft of technical and procedural standards to follow, more
so now that Freedom of Information is really running.

Starting from http://open.egov.org.uk/ I found details of the APLAWS
and LGOL-Net user groups at http://www.lgolnet.org/User_Group.htm
http://www.aplaws.org.uk/support/usergroup.php which seem a good starting
point. I'm not near any of the places listed publicly: Camden, Coventry,
Blaby, Fylde, Stoke-on-Trent, States of Guernsey, Newham,  Bromley and
West Sussex CC as well as Harrow. If anyone is, can you approach that
council, please?

Can someone email both groups to see if there are updates, please?
Please keep the list informed of progress.

--
MJR/slef
Currently trying to change his local council's policies, so not a