Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: EGB Feb Seminar: E-Government and the Gershon Effici

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [Fwd: EGB Feb Seminar: E-Government and the Gershon Efficiency Review]
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:50:04 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:

Richard wrote:
someone to present a case-study of their council running
Free Software, and making big savings (as a byproduct, on
top of all the other benefits of Free Software).

Yes, that would be great. I think it would be in AFFS's interest to
support anyone doing so, as far as we can, wouldn't it?

Other than the few which have appeared in the press (Nottingham?), I
guess we should look at tricky areas like local authority web sites.
They have a raft of technical and procedural standards to follow, more
so now that Freedom of Information is really running.

Starting from http://open.egov.org.uk/ I found details of the APLAWS
and LGOL-Net user groups at http://www.lgolnet.org/User_Group.htm
http://www.aplaws.org.uk/support/usergroup.php which seem a good starting
point. I'm not near any of the places listed publicly: Camden, Coventry,
Blaby, Fylde, Stoke-on-Trent, States of Guernsey, Newham,  Bromley and
West Sussex CC as well as Harrow. If anyone is, can you approach that
council, please?

Can someone email both groups to see if there are updates, please?
Please keep the list informed of progress.

I have seen Alasdair Mangham from Camden talk about development of Aplaws (Camden paid for the initial development), and he certainly wouldn't present it primarily as a cost-saving measure - although he doesn't talk about it in these terms, the advantages are primarily in freedom not cost. For example, like many councils, so much of their IT had been outsourced they had to reconstitute a project management team to oversee development; because they were dealing with small companies, rather than big suppliers like Accenture, the council needed people who actually understood what was going on instead of handing it all over, etc. So there were additional costs in employing people and in time. The advantages were things like the ability to pay two companies, one to write the code and the other to validate it, so they got better quality; to get feedback from other councils, again improving quality; etc. So at least for the original developers lowering costs was not the primary driver, and actually comparing costs was difficult because the money went on different things.

Of course this could be different for other councils adopting Aplaws as a more-or-less finished project, and certainly for councils just migrating to free software (ie. not web, which is always going to be fairly custom). Like Bristol:

http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/PressReleaseViewer/viewer.html?pressReleaseId=236418

maybe. Anyone involved in that migration?

I have a semi-related question: my own council (Hounslow) has been in the local papers as being about to invest a lot in redeveloping their web site, so I went to look for the tenders to see if there was any way to bring in free software. But I can't find the tenders: certainly not on the EU site, not in the local papers, or anywhere else I can find. Isn't there a requirement on them to publish these somewhere visible?

Cheers
Graham