[Fsfe-uk] Are you a copyright communist?

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Are you a copyright communist?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:08:22 +0000

Are you a copyright communist? (I think I might fit the description).

P.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1387447,00.html

The war on copyright communists

Bill Gates wants software patents to protect his profit, not the public

Andrew Brown
The Guardian, Tuesday January 11th, 2005

Bill Gates is an intelligent man who has done a great deal of good in the
world. So when he gets caught out in a bare-faced lie this should matter to
all of us; and last week, when he called the opponents of American
intellectual property law a "communist" movement he was encouraging a mistake
that could impoverish the entire world.

He said: "Of the world's economies, there's more that believe in intellectual
property today than ever. There are fewer communists in the world today than
there were. There are some new modern-day sort of communists who want to get
rid of the incentive for musicians and moviemakers and software makers under
various guises. They don't think that those incentives should exist."

The argument in principle that Gates makes against "communism" starts in
exactly the right place. But his vested interests lead him to drag it in the
wrong direction. It is as if the Sheriff of Nottingham were to announce that
it's enormously important that your property was protected from criminals -
so he'll take everything you have that might be stolen and lock it up for
safety in his castle.

<SNIP>

--

==============

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our
nation, and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace
and unity with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html