Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software Magazine got cheaper

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Software Magazine got cheaper
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:58:00 +0000

On Sunday 13 March 2005 10:15, Andrew Savory wrote:
> This is a common misconception about free software: that it can be
> developed for free, and that there are little or no costs in it.

No, there is no misconception here on my part.  I never said that "there are
little or no costs in free software".  Time costs money, of course.  Yet
people often donate that time for a cause, and many people donating a little
time can accomplish much.

If anyone doubts the ability of large Free projects to succeed without
focusing on paid subscribers, I'll just gently remind them of Debian, GNU,
GNOME, KDE, and many others.

To me, there is nothing about magazine production that could not be done with
volunteers if it is organised properly.  If people want actual printed
copies, then the natural way to support that is to have those interested in
something physical pay for the physical materials.

But of course, if you immediately choose one of two alternatives, then you
naturally fail to even imagine alternatives three, four, and five.

--
Lee.