Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Resignation from AFFS committee

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Resignation from AFFS committee
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 07:56:53 +0100

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 04:13:58AM +0100, John Seago wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 15:17:07 +0100, (Note the digest is reaching me dated
> "Thu Jan 1 00.59.59 1970"), Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Either it did or it didn't, regardless of your numerical skills.
> > >  Presumably it should be recorded on minutes somewhere, unless that
> > > concept has (once again) been discarded as cramping people's style.
> >
> > It didn't happen at a meeting, so no, I'm afraid it hasn't been minuted.
> > But it did achieve the required majority: when, I don't know, I thought
> > it was before Mark left. I might be wrong about that.
>
> If something didn't happen at a meeting, and is therefore not minuted, then
> it didn't happen at all.

Oh boy, you left that one wide open!  Leaving aside a lot of things in
the Real World(tm) which weren't done at meetings and weren't minuted,
I've been on several committees now wher a lot of the decisions are
taken outside meetings, by phone calls (not conference calls, which
could be classed as a 'meeting' of sorts, but individual calls to
several of the committee members) and not minuted (indeed, one committee
I was on we kept no minutes at all, we kept our own lists of things we
had to do and that was all).  I can assure you that theings did indeed
'happen'.

(And if you really believe that all governmental decisions are made at
meetings and minuted -- I have this land in Florida you might like, and
I can get a bridge really cheap...)

Chris C