Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Resignation from AFFS committee

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Resignation from AFFS committee
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 15:03:05 +0100

On Monday 06 Jun 2005 14:28, Ian Lynch wrote:
> Well it just seems to me that I'm on a lot of committees and we don't
> seem to get all these points of order all the time. I was a school
> governor in fact at one time. Its common practice for the Chairman of
> Governors in a school to work quite closely with the Head as its
> impractical to have too many full meetings of the governing body. If
> every decision required such a meeting schools would grind to a halt. On
> the otherhand, major decisions such as permanent exclusion of a student
> will involve the governing body, a short term exclusion might not.
> Taking on a new caretaker probably wouldn't involve the GB, appointing
> the next head would and so on.

I think the problem is that some posts have suggested that there is no need
for any procedure at all - I know perfectly well that an excess of procedure
is stultifying, but some is required just in case someone falls under a bus.
I was a governor too, and you're perfectly right about chairman/head
co-operation.  But in our case these things were always reported on (and
therefore minuted) at the next meeting, and we had a personnel subcommittee
who did in fact interview caretakers :-)

--

Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg