Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Resignation from AFFS committee

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Resignation from AFFS committee
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:35:32 +0100

Hi MJ,

> Kevin Donnelly is right, of course: things have to be recorded
> somewhere.
>
> Chris Croughton is right, too: sometimes things don't get recorded
> promptly or at all and sometimes that's OK. I suspect it doesn't work
> for anything controversial. I was surprised sometimes what sort of
> things others thought controversial, so I think we should note the
> bleeding obvious things like vote counts.
>
> John Seago is right as well: the members should see minutes soon
> enough for any reaction to have an effect. (apologies if I got the
> meaning wrong, but I deleted the wrong email)

Decisions and discussions have to occur outside of physical meetings;
that's clear.

One organisation I knew of had a mailing list for the `board'.
Discussion took place on it.  It was viewable to the `members' but they
couldn't post;  only the board could post.  The mailing list archive was
a record of all discussion.  Whenever a decision was reached a new
thread, subject prefixed with, e.g. `MINUTE:' stated the decision.  Each
board member then replied to that thread with a simple vote;  no
discussion since the place for that is on non-MINUTE threads.  The chair
then posted finally on the thread with a count of the votes.

It allows for free-flowing discussion, but with automatic records.  And
the MINUTEs serve to make the decisions concrete and stand out from all
the banter with a voting record.

Anyway, my point is that a mailing list plus usage conventions may help
the FSFE's record keeping.

Cheers,

Ralph.