Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS workings

From: Adam Bower
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS workings
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:28:33 +0100

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 03:32:36PM +0100, Graham Seaman wrote:

> <flame>
> Is the AFFS so big these discussions which have apparently been
> happening since May couldn't have taken place on the mailing list,
> instead of having them in private and then revealing them to us mere
> mortals 'in the future'? If nothing else it might have made the mailing
> list more interesting,

Because most of the stuff we do is terribly boring, there has been a
private committee list since AFFS was started (AIUI, and probably a list
before that with discussion of how AFFS was going to be setup with people
on it who ended up being on the committee I would think) because you have
a committee who do "things" and they need some way of discussing them. If
people don't like the way that the committee do "things" then you vote
them off at the AGM and replace them with someone better.

The situation is that if all the things that the committee did was
public then I could imagine that every time we made a decision we would
get flamed by some of our members. If you like reading flamage then I'm
sure that would be interesting but it is a bit of a turn off for me.

> but it might also have helped to decrease the 'committee=involved
> hardworkers', 'members=apathetic gits' mindset  you seem to be generating.
> </flame>

Uh, the committee are members too, if you feel that way then that is a
shame as it is certainly not what is meant. The committee does suffer
from apathy/lack of hours in the day/real life at times too and we are
certainly not always "involved hardworkers"!, I'm trying to cure that,
I can't think of a better way of doing this than asking people to help,
obviously if asking people to come and help is not the way to go about
it then I don't know what is....

Adam
--
jabberid = address@hidden