Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS workings

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: AFFS workings
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:20:08 +0100

Hi,

On 29 Jun 2005, at 20:46, Adam Bower wrote:

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 08:14:25PM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:

If openness works so well in many many free software projects, why do
you assume it would not work for AFFS?

A difference is that many free software projects have a "cabal" who
decide what to do.

Yes, but in the best projects, the cabal acts in public and anyone is free to try and influence the outcome.

There is also an element that many Free Software projects are not entirely open to everyone.

Most Free Software projects have some kind of meritocracy in operation. They are open but you have to work for it, e.g. http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#meritocracy

I guess you are saying that the ctte list should be open for all? or
just have archives available to everyone? or something else? and how do
other organisations deal with the day to day running and co-ordination
and keeping a dialogue going with members of the organisation?

I don't think opening the ctte list will necessarily solve the problem (and as Alex points out, there's some stuff that must remain private). But a commitment (mandate, or whatever you want to call it) toward working predominantly in the public and demonstrable execution of this would be a good start.

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/