Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)

From: Chris Croughton
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:07:02 +0100

On Wed, Jun 29, 2005 at 06:59:26PM +0100, Alex Hudson wrote:

> Also, I would say although the AFFS is an associate of the FSFE - and
> hence, obviously, pro-FSF :) - I would hope BSD supporters could find a
> home with AFFS too. As an example, one of the problems with the Govt.
> "open source" policy is that it doesn't seem to recognise licences like
> the BSD licence. I'm guessing it's probably not a natural home, though,
> but I guess that would depend on whether or not a "purist BSD" supporter
> would recognise the GPL as a free software licence; I know some don't.

I'm not a "purist BSD supporter" (my own software is released under the
Zlib licence), but I was initially dubious about being associated with
the FSF(E).  I would prefer it is there were a separate AFFS list,
because I think a lot of non- and anti-GPL FLOSS people will be put off
by something that seems to be (and is in name) for FSF supporters,

I do regard the GPL as non-free (except as in beer).  I don't hold that
against it, though, I'm quite happy to work with other licences which
the FSF regards as non-free (the Zlib licence is compatible with all of
them) so the GPL is just another one.  I'm not a 'purist' anything...

All of my 'local' aliases and mail folders are called AFFS, not FSFE,
and that is deliberate (and means that I can easily switch lists).

Chris C