Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] AFFS strategy (Was: Beyond bitching...)
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:51:29 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:

>Here's how I see it:
>
>- FSFE is a pan-European non-profit supporting free software with a
>    tightly controlled membership and a larger paying fellowship;
>- FSFE-UK will one day be a branch of FSFE in the UK with 3 or so
>    members at first - it doesn't exist today;
>- address@hidden is a mailing list for UK-related FS discussion;
>- AFFS is a membership organisation supporting free software in the UK,
>    which is an associate of FSFE.
>
>In (un?)popular language, FSFE is a bit more cathedral,
>AFFS is (should be?) a bit more bazaar.  I'm currently one
>of fsfe-uk-admin and I'm quite happy for AFFS to use this
>list. FSFE highups are subscribed and I expect they'd be happy
>with that too.

If the FSFE-UK will one day exist as a separate entity, I would assume
they would like to use this mailing list for their own purposes! But at
that point I guess we could do a mass-migration to a new list.

In the meantime, can we add a fairly  prominent note  to the AFFS
website  recommending that people join this list, and another note
somewhere in the registration process pointing out that new members
should subscribe to this list.

I assume everyone is happy with the idea that people on this list will
be members, non-members, and committee members, and that all three can
discuss AFFS business. IMO it would be good to establish a convention
that individuals report relevant news  on this list (which someone can
extract and summarise on the website; I'll volunteer if no-one else
does, though it depends a bit on Alex's progress with blog/wiki software
etc ;-).  It would also be good to have a convention that as much of the
committee's business as practical is in public and on this list, and
that everyone is allowed to join in discussions (both members and
non-members).

As a separate issue, I volunteer to try and find out more about related
organisations around europe and produce something about them and their
major activities for input to the website, as long as there's a way to
get it on there. It would be too much for one person to keep going in
the long run (especially because of the multiple languages needed) but
I'd like to try to start it.

Cheers
Graham