Re: [Fsfe-uk] Yesterdays Defective by Design event in London

From: Gareth Bowker
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Yesterdays Defective by Design event in London
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 15:58:43 +0100

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 10:47 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> I've posted a bit about my experience of this event at
> http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2006/cc#drmapplereport

An interesting read :)

> but the headline is that I think it was amazingly successful and it
> would be good to do something similar again, building on what we've
> learnt.  Maybe another city, maybe a Sony Centre, maybe on the first
> anniversary of something to do with their rootkit?

It's certainly something I'm seriously considering (and you're not the
first person to suggest we do another event either). When is the first
anniversary?

> Two small things to clarify from other reports: my leaflets were not
> cunningly concealed (they were hanging out of my backpack) and I did not
> replace any Apple leaflets - I just added some in front.

I'll put a correction on my blog this evening when I get home.

> I'm a little unhappy so many pictures of the event are on flickr -
> slightly because the images there seem to be All Rights Reserved,

I've been trying to set a different licence on the pictures I took, but
the interface just hangs every time I try to do anything. As soon as the
interface *actually works* for me then I'll get them changed.
Incidentally, the pictures I took are all available full-size from
http://pics.tgb.org.uk/defectivebydesignlondon/ . There is no copyright
statement on the images, however whenever anyone has asked I've always
given them permission to do whatever they like with the images - in that
regard, please consider this an explicit statement that all of my images
at the above URL are in the public domain and may be used in any way
anyone sees fit :)

I should probably put words to that effect on the site itself... another
task to add to the list...

> but
> mostly because every page tells me I should install the latest version
> of the Macromedia Flash Player, which is now produced by the DMCA-happy
> [www.freesklyarov.org] Adobe corporation.

That's odd - I certainly remember seeing those in the past, but I've not
seen any "you really should be using flash" messages recently (and I've
just double-checked - Firefox hasn't sneakily installed flash without my
knowing about it...)

> It seems rather stupid to let
> Defective by Design be used to promote a DRM controller.  Is the
> campaign at least making some money from those adverts?

I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

> Well done and best wishes to all involved,

Thanks for turning up :)

Cheers,

Gareth