Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Flash-equivalents

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free Flash-equivalents
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:13:44 +0100

On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 10:26 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Maybe Flash is pretty common, but I don't think those figures are
> satisfactory.  They look more like marketing than statistics.

That's almost certain, but I'm not sure their figures are all that far
off. If I was to guess, I'd say that in general it's not less that 92%
(but see last paragraph).

Generally when they're looking at Flash support I think they're talking
about Flash 3 or something, which is really just the basic animation
plus sound effects or something (eg., not something you could use to
view videos or the other stuff Flash does these days) - so we're not
talking an amazingly high bar, and I _think_ that Windows has come with
such a plugin for many years now (but I may be wrong).

The kind of preface that I put on that is that "if you care about how it
looks" - I think the comparison between Flash and PDF is actually pretty
apt. Plain text will usually be more accessible, but Flash isn't a whole
lot less accessible in terms of viewership.