Re: [Fsfe-uk] New Charities Bill

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] New Charities Bill
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 11:54:10 +0000

On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 11:41 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> I've seen some CICs mooted where they're not really appropriate, but
> AFFS may be one situation where the famed CIC 'asset lock' actually
> makes sense.

I guess I should state at this point that I really have no idea about
CICs, so I'm not suggesting it at this point:  I think the situation
with both CICs and the reworking of charity law demands a proper review
of the situation.

> I've not had any trouble getting help out of the Cooperative Bank and I
> doubt that's only because I'm a Cooperative Group member.  I don't
> remember anyone else besides Marc Eberhard and myself setting up
> security codes and so on, so maybe that's the difference?

I really wish I knew :(

I think the idea with the current paperwork is that Adam and/or I will
visit the Co-op and try to progress things; I'll let you know how we get
on - your help has been greatly appreciated. My local Co-op is actually
a good 50mn away, sadly, but Adam's new job probably means it's easier
for me at the moment.

> The free-software-accessible community banking probably should be the
> decider.  Other cooperatives and mutuals offer it, as does the
> Cooperative Bank's personal banking division, so if the new service
> still doesn't do it, this might be a good time to move.

Yeah. We haven't evaluated the new service yet - I only noticed that it
was available a couple of weeks ago - but they explicitly mention
Firefox, which is promising.