Re: [Fsfe-uk] Report from BCS OSSG meeting on a new FS license

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Report from BCS OSSG meeting on a new FS license
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:18:44 +0100

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 10:32 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> Thanks for the report.  I look forward to seeing the minutelets.  I
> think you only name Mark Taylor.  Did you recognise anyone else there?

Only a couple, I'm afraid. Andrew Savory was present, and I recognised
the names of a couple of the committee but haven't ever met them.

I think the non-OSSG turnout was perhaps eight people; there were people
on the list who couldn't attend (e.g., Ian Lynch put his name down,
although he told me before the meeting he was unlikely to attend) but I
didn't recognise other names there either.

> Were statements from SPI, FSF, debian, or anyone else given?

No. If I'd had my act together, I would have brought them to ensure they
could have been put, but I think I was expecting others to be there too
- however, 6pm on a working day in London is obviously inaccessible to
many people. I think it was relatively well understood, though, that it
was unlikely community organisations would be much in favour of a new
license.

> Do you think we should do anything about BCS before their next move?

I don't think so - I think the first thing is to see if their impression
of the meeting, and the actions to be taken, match up to what I thought
was said. Although I get the impression that the license is still on the
table, everyone non-OSSG pushed the point home that a. it wasn't clear
what the problems were, and b. the case hadn't been made that those
problems couldn't be solved in better ways.