Re: [Fsfe-uk] Content creation

From: rob
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Content creation
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:00:28 +0000

Quoting Ian Lynch <address@hidden>:

So you have to map RGB to CMYK and it has been done in quite a few
proprietary products so there is some sort of mathematical relationship.
Sounds like a university applied maths project. Ok, I'm probably missing
a lot but if that relationship was cracked and put out into the public
domain surely it would be then relatively easy to build software to
implement it? The mathematics wouldn't be patentable would it?

The maths is ancient, simple enough for a fine art student like me to understand, and is in any good graphics textbook (e.g. Foley & Van Dam).

You just need to implement it wherever you use colour. Which for projects the size of Gimp or Inkscape is not a simple task. Plus SVG doesn't support it at all and you need colour management to get the colours looking bearable on different devices. It gets less simple very quickly. :-)

- Rob.