Re: [Fsfe-uk] Content creation

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Content creation
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:52:25 +0000

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 21:31 +0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> Inkscape remaps my CMYK colours to a different mix (via RGB), which
> depending on the inks and paper may not result in the same shade.

Sadly, it's the same deal as OpenOffice.org - it's not CMYK support,
it's the ability to crudely translate CMYK colour values into RGB. I'm
not even sure it's doing that right - if you whack the K to zero you
basically get an inverse RGB,

The "may not" in your sentence really ought to be "will virtually
never", with any ink or paper :( Worse than that, it's not even going to
look right on the screen, let alone the printer.

Let me show you a really clear example:

        http://www.alexhudson.com/stuff/rgb-v-cmyk.png

That image shows two colours, in RGB, both translated from CMYK. On the
left the conversion was done with OOo in this instance, but any naive
CMYK->RGB translation would be the same. On the right, the translation
was done by a print shop Macintosh.

The difference is huge and obvious. If all your colours are in error by
the margin on the left, you basically cannot work seriously, because you
have no idea what things will look like.