Re: [Fsfe-uk] CMYK (was: Content creation)

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] CMYK (was: Content creation)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 17:40:08 +0000

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 17:14 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:

> Then you have the issue of, how do I make sure what I see on the screen
> is actually the same colour as what will print? What you have to do is
> buy a colourimeter and actually *measure* the output of your monitor.
> Printers do similar things with their print output. Then your software
> is supposed to tweak images on your screen slightly - maybe via the
> video drivers, who knows - so that the imperfections/setup of your
> hardware is kind of "cancelled out" by the tweaks to the image, so that
> the right colour ends up coming out.
>
> If your images are in CMYK, and you're having to do all this colour
> space conversion a. to get them into RGB and b. take into account the
> oddness of your video hardware, that starts to become a more and more
> complex task.
>
> All these issues and more make CMYK "hard", because you're basically
> talking about dealing with output which keeps needing to be bodged in
> various ways to make the end result "right".

Sounds like it needs a big database of known things that work. Look up
the situation and if it's not covered fill it in. Start with something
that is approximate and gradually improve it over time. Sounds very open
sourceish and internet collaborative to me :-)

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications
www.theINGOTs.org