Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software jobs

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software jobs
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:20:15 +0000

* Ralph Corderoy wrote, On 13/01/08 13:02:
Hi Sam,

address@hidden informed me that I must do the full surce offer type
stuf even on a loan/trial of a device with GPL binaries.

These may be useful, especially the last.  They're GPL V2 but even so...

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowNDA
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowModNDA
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.html#DevelopChangesUnderNDA

Thanks Ralph, I'd not problem with all that.

The bit that was interesting is that while a vendor might give away full sources to customers, they must also give it away to potential customers, sort of negating the need for the customers to buy the product; and implying that what commercially is an "offer to provide a device" under GPL is deemed to have actually provided the software and entailed the obligations.

Anyway, I have no particular bone to pick on that, I merely find it "interesting"

Sam