Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software book?

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Free software book?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:38:37 +0000

As someone who has read both, Free as in Freedom is more entertaining and easier to read.

But if you don't like the person give them Free Software, Free Society, It conveys all the same stuff but as you say is more "in your face" which people tend to like less, but gives counters to *any* possible argument.

I think Free Software, Free Society is best for giving to the more argumentative who argue more vehemently against Free software, while Free as in Freedom is better to inform people who are casual users, a little bit about the background to their system without being in their face.

To be honest, Free as in Freedom is ultimately what led to me joining the Free Software movement from being an unhappy Windows XP user.

I suppose I would recommend having both, because I believe there is a time and place for both, however I would suggest that Free as in Freedom would be best for your girlfriend.

Also check whether your local library has either. I was honestly shocked to find mine had Free as in Freedom.

--
www.dobo.urandom.co.uk
----