fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Mission statement - request for comments
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:34:01 +0100

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 22:06:31 Michael Dorrington wrote:
> Manchester Free Software serves a growing need for a group in the
> Manchester area that focuses on free software and, in particular,
> GNU/Linux. The group encompasses topics which impact on the freedoms of
> computer users, such as Digital Restrictions Management (DRM).

I've been thinking about this a lot, and whilst i'm not very bothered about
the joining words - what Lucy suggested is fine by me really - I am a little
bit concerned about something else.

As far as I'm aware, we are not a GLUG  (GNU/Linux User Group).

We aim to have talks of a non-technical nature if possible on a range of
issues relating to Free Software.

Therefore is it absolutely necessary to mention GNU/Linux in the mission
statement?
In my opinion, it probably isn't -I don't proposing ignoring GNU/Linux by any
menns but I don't think we should favour it over GNU/OpenSolaris, GNU/BSD or
even vanilla BSD or vanilla OpenSolaris or any other free software operating
system.

Manchester *free software* group

It's all in the name.

--

try not to be too abusive when you disagree with me ;) :)

cheers

Tim

--
www.tdobson.net