gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune output bundles

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune output bundles
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 15:18:52 +0200

Le 01/05/2012 13:57, Sebastian Reitenbach a écrit :

> On Tuesday, May 1, 2012 12:58 CEST, Philippe Roussel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Le 01/05/2012 12:24, Riccardo Mottola a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> do you have a clue what sound system should Cynthiune use on Linux? I
>>> suppose oss "as emulation".
>>
>> Yep, oss should work until someone writes an alsa backend.
>
> Besides the OSS Backend, there is an Esound and an Arts backend too.
> Both work for me on OpenBSD.

Esound is still kicking (but not used anymore on any major linux distro
I think) but aRts is a dead project.

Thinking about it, I have a question : some time ago Stefan Bidigaray
implemented a NSSound backend based on libao. Here's the description of
the libao4 package :

> Description-en: Cross Platform Audio Output Library
>  Libao is a cross-platform audio library that allows programs to output audio
>  using a simple API on a wide variety of platforms. It currently supports:
>  .
>   * Null output (handy for testing without a sound device)
>   * WAV files
>   * AU files
>   * OSS (Open Sound System, used on Linux and FreeBSD)
>   * ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
>   * PulseAudio (next generation GNOME sound server)
>   * esd (EsounD or Enlightened Sound Daemon)
>   * MacOS X
>   * Windows (98 and later)
>   * AIX
>   * Sun/NetBSD/OpenBSD
>   * IRIX
>   * NAS (Network Audio Server)
>   * RoarAudio (Modern, multi-OS, networked Sound System)
>   * OpenBSD's sndio

Why aren't we using NSSound directly ??

Philippe