gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune output bundles

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune output bundles
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 20:27:34 +0200

Le 01/05/2012 16:36, Sebastian Reitenbach a écrit :

> On Tuesday, May 1, 2012 15:32 CEST, Philippe Roussel <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Le 01/05/2012 15:18, Philippe Roussel a écrit :
>>> Esound is still kicking (but not used anymore on any major linux distro
>>> I think) but aRts is a dead project.
>>>
>>> Thinking about it, I have a question : some time ago Stefan Bidigaray
>>> implemented a NSSound backend based on libao. Here's the description of
>>> the libao4 package :

>>> Why aren't we using NSSound directly ??
>>
>> Ok, NSSound is too simplistic for a media player but using the same
>> library for the backend could be a good idea.
>
> OK, I got the simplistic part, but not the using the same library for the
> backend part
> We should use NSSound in each of the Output Bundles?

I meant that instead of having multiple backends we could follow the
route NSSound took and add a backend that uses libao to Cynthiune. That
would reduce the number of needed backends to maybe a couple.

If NSSound's libao backend compiles and works on a given plateform we
will know that a libao backend for Cynthiune will also work on this
plateform.

I will give it a shot and see if I can make a libao backend works.

Philippe