gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune on Mac

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Cynthiune on Mac
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:35:03 +0200

On Sunday, July 22, 2012 15:42 CEST, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was able to get Cynthiune working on Panther (Mac 10.3). The old
> project was for Jaguar 10.2 and I had to upgrade the whole project to
> XCode. It now works on Tiger 10.4 too, I don't have and use newer
> stuff.
> I may try my luck on my old G3 with 10.2 again :) The pain is to get
> the dependency libraries working.
>
> I did not build all bundles, just the essentials (audiofile, MP3, ID3
> tag and audio output). The good thing is that I can thus test the
> interface, the palylist stuff and those things on Cocoa and see how
> they behave, since we had problems with them on GNUstep.
>
> I got the stuff compiling weeks ago, but I had problems with the
> endianness: the Core Audio output bundle had to be upgraded like we did
> with all the other ones. It works for me now on my trusty iBook!
> Sometimes I get hangs when changing songs with different formats, I did
> not investigate further. I find it cool to have a player that works on
> older Macs too, but our primary platform is GNUstep.
>
> To get things compiling, I had to apply the attached patch. What do you
> think? Does it impact other platforms? It is reasonably harmless.

Yep, looks save, and I just tested it to make sure on i386 and macppc,
so, works for me.

> Accepted that, what do you think about a release? I don't think we have
> any major issues left. Musicbrainz perhaps? I don't build it myself.
> GNUstep only I guess, the Mac version refers to installed libraries. I
> don-t know if it is enough to copy them inside the resources, I might
> try and anyway I can't produce a Universal Binary.

I just made a test with the I think major sound file types, flac, mp3 and ogg
on i386 and macppc, and on both they work fine. I was using the Sndio backend.
Musicbrainz has some little flaws, but I wouldn't mind. Maybe with a new
released
version, someone else becomes so annoyed of it, that he may look at it and
send a patch, who knows ;)

I also just removed all the NSLog debug statements from the Sndio backend.
I think it works really well for me.

But with MPDCon, I also never got feedback. We'll probably get more feedback
later on with a released tarball, when more people may start using it.
So from my side, its fine for a release.

The only think is this Info/"Send a bug report" menu, should be updated, and
pointed to something
better. Right now its still trying to send to Wolfgang Sourdeau ;)
Its in Frameworks/Cynthiune/MailService.m.
Or maybe just open a link to the GAP bug tracker?

cheers,
Sebastian