gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:13:20 -0500

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:50:07AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 11:14:39AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >
> >>Finally, and most importantly, I think during 2003 it became apparent
> >>that GDB's community (as identified by those participating in GDB's
> >>development processes - reviewing and contributing patches, engaging in
> >>disucssion, testing, ...) was, for the first time, being dominated by
> >>non-"Cygnus" players.  Assuming this state of play continues, we should
> >>finally be able to slay the "Cygnus controls and dominates GDB" dragon.
> >

> >I would say, was being less dominated by "Cygnus" players, ...

I said that I didn't see this as a problem.  If you want to pursue it,
for some reason:

More than half of the committed patches for the last year come from Red
Hat employees.  Of course, you're single-handedly responsible for that
statistic.  Of the top fourteen contributors, that's everyone with more
than twenty committed patches in 2003, almost sixty percent are Red Hat
employees.

Looking over the list of maintainers, we have twelve global
maintainers.  Four are inactive.  Of the remaining, more than half are
Red Hat employees.

There appear to be roughly sixteen target ISAs with active development
this year.  Five have maintainers who are Red Hat employees, six have
maintainers who are not, and the rest have no listed maintainer.

For the generic components / UI / Misc sections it's harder to produce
active maintenance numbers.  There are 51 names listed, including
duplicates and inactives, and 37 of them are Red Hat.

Numbers aren't definitely of limited use, but still, that last one is
particularly telling - when a patch is stuck waiting for review of a
particular local area maintainer, it is generally waiting for a Red Hat
employee.

> Who, from "Cygnus", do you see still being significantly involved in
> development?

Certainly all five of our global maintainers at Red Hat are still
significantly involved in development, and as far as I know they all
did GDB development at Cygnus.  There are others in the various parts
of Red Hat, also mostly originating from Cygnus.  Jeff, Corinna, and
Chris are the most active on that list.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz