gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Ian Lance Taylor
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: 29 Jan 2004 13:35:49 -0500

David Carlton <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't work on breakpoints, so I hadn't noticed this particular
> example; the main benefit that I saw of this pruning is that the
> testsuite had no local maintainers, which all of a sudden meant that
> any global maintainer could approve testsuite patches, which meant
> that a _lot_ of testsuite patches went in.

I would have to agree that any global maintainer ought to be able to
approve patches to any part of the code.  That is how both gcc and the
binutils work, and I think it has proven to be effective in practice.

Mind you, both projects have additional rules, like patches may not
cause testsuite regressions, and, if they do cause regressions which
are not fixed, any other global maintainer can revert them freely.

Ian