gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: David Carlton
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:15:57 -0800

On 29 Jan 2004 13:26:11 -0500, Ian Lance Taylor <address@hidden> said:

> Anyhow, my point is, who does handle patch review?  gdb is a big
> project.  It receives many patches.  The gdb MAINTAINERS file
> doesn't clearly explain who is entitled to approve patches.

Local maintainers (i.e. the maintainers whose names are listed after a
specific area of GDB) approve patches in that area.  Global
maintainers approve patches in areas without a local maintainer, but
they can't approve patches in an area with a local maintainer.
Anybody can approve obvious patches.

> gcc's policies are very clear:
>     http://gcc.gnu.org/cvswrite.html#policies
> These policies have proven very effective in practice.

The first half of our proposal is intended to be exactly like GCC's
rules as listed in the web page you reference.

David Carlton
address@hidden