gdb-discuss

[Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Andrew Cagney
Subject: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:17:02 -0500

  All non-obvious patches to GDB must be approved.  Area maintainers
  can approve patches to the relevant area of GDB; global maintainers
  are treated as if they are area maintainers for all areas of GDB.
  Maintainers are permitted to approve their own patches in areas
  where they have authority to approve others' patches.

I think I know what this means, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll assume that instead the GCC text is the topic of discussion.

In that regard, you'll all notice that for the existing maintainers file Stephane decided to run the TUI along these lines:

tui                     Stephane Carrez         address@hidden
                        (Global Maintainers)
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-03/msg00455.html

is effectively an [explicit] adoption of the GCC process (I asked Stephane to make it explict as I didn't want any confusion). But note the emphasis - it's still stephane that should be refered to for decisions. Other area leads can also certainly consider adopting this also (I'd not thought to ask) - other than symtab I wasn't aware of serious problems.

So to be blunt, GCC's policy can be largely implemented now, without many months of behind the scene manouvering.

  If maintainers disagree whether or not a patch should be approved,
  and can't resolve that disagreement via discussion, it shall be
  resolved by a vote.  Any global maintainer or area maintainer for
  the relevant area can vote; a majority of votes cast is required for
  approval.

I think this is simply dangerous - such matters should be pushed up to the next level.

Andrew