gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:37:32 +0200

> From: Ian Lance Taylor <address@hidden>
> Date: 30 Jan 2004 17:21:04 -0500
>
> Andrew Cagney <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Again, I wish it could be so - right now you must admit that we're
> > suffering somewhat from a lack of mutual trust.
>
> You know, if there really is a lack of trust, then let's stop
> pussyfooting around.  It is impossible for a group of people to
> collaborate on a free software project if they do not trust each
> other.

I must say here, loud and clear: I don't think there is a lack of
trust within the GDB maintainers.  If it is indeed Andrew's perception
that this is the case (as opposed to more-or-less a figure of speach,
which is how I originally understood his wording), I'm very sorry that
he feels like that, and I urge him to find another interpretation of
whatever facts that led him to this conclusion.

But maybe I shouldn't speak for anyone but myself here.  If anyone of
the GDB maintainers thinks there's a lack-of-trust issue here, please
speak up now, or forever hold your piece.  Because Ian is right: there
can be no collaboration without mutual trust.

For myself, I can say that there's no mistrust between myself and
Andrew.  I have some comments about how GDB maintenance was managed
lately, but there's a world of difference between that and lack of
trust.

> But I don't think we can overlook a lack of trust.  Do you think it
> can be remedied?  Do other people?

If we come to the conclusion that there is indeed a lack of trust,
then the problem of healing that becomes a much harder one.