gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 02:51:02 -0500

    In GCC, people complain, and the global maintainers step in.

In GCC, when there is a major decision and a disagreement, I believe
the GCC steering committee members are the ones that vote.  They
recently had a vote about a major design decision.

The steering committee is the group appointed to maintain GCC.  It has
the overall responsibility to oversee the development of the package.
(They do not all have to do substantial work on GCC development.)
Practically speaking, the committee can and usually does let other
contributors make decisions, but it must retain the authority to
overrule them.

Ian wrote:

    * Create a gdb steering committee.  Appeal to it when there are
      unresolvable conflicts.  The steering committee holds straight up
      and down votes when consensus can not be achieved.

We already have such a committee.  However, someone reported that some
of the committee members are no longer active.  I think I should see
which of them still want to be on the committee.