geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Corrections for Geiser/doc/repl.texi

From: Mark Harig
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Corrections for Geiser/doc/repl.texi
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 12:36:34 -0500

> Also, I suggest replacing "a per REPL basis" with "a per-REPL
basis."

I have never seen "per" used with an hyphen. I just checked MW's
Dictionary of English Usage, Swan's Practical English Usage and the
OED, and in none of the more two dozen examples they give is there an
hyphen: why do you think hyphenation is (more) correct here?

The hyphenation makes it clear(er) that it is [a "for each REPL" basis],
rather than [a for each "REPL basis"] (what's a "REPL basis"?). That is,
it creates a compound modifier "per REPL" that modifies "basis," instead
of letting "per" act as a modifier to the (unintended) term "REPL basis."

My guess is that those guides do not show "per" being used in a compound
modifier, but instead show it being used as a preposition.  Do your
references have any examples of "per" NOT being used as a preposition
(its most common use) with the meaning "for each" or "on each" or
"during each?"

Also, your references' sections on "Compound Modifiers" might explain why
I prefer the hyphenated term better than I have above.