geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Corrections for Geiser/doc/repl.texi

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Corrections for Geiser/doc/repl.texi
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 20:41:57 +0100

On Mon, Jan 10 2011, Mark Harig wrote:

>> > Also, I suggest replacing "a per REPL basis" with "a per-REPL
> basis."
>>
>> I have never seen "per" used with an hyphen. I just checked MW's
>> Dictionary of English Usage, Swan's Practical English Usage and the
>> OED, and in none of the more two dozen examples they give is there an
>> hyphen: why do you think hyphenation is (more) correct here?
>>

> The hyphenation makes it clear(er) that it is [a "for each REPL"
> basis], rather than [a for each "REPL basis"] (what's a "REPL
> basis"?). That is, it creates a compound modifier "per REPL" that
> modifies "basis," instead of letting "per" act as a modifier to the
> (unintended) term "REPL basis."

To my ears, "on a per REPL basis" can only make sense if per modifies
REPL (because of the common expression "on a <> basis"), but i'm not a
native speaker and, besides, you're absolutely right in your guess
below:

> My guess is that those guides do not show "per" being used in a compound
> modifier, but instead show it being used as a preposition.  Do your
> references have any examples of "per" NOT being used as a preposition
> (its most common use) with the meaning "for each" or "on each" or
> "during each?"
>
> Also, your references' sections on "Compound Modifiers" might explain
> why I prefer the hyphenated term better than I have above.

Not really, but i think i understand what you mean. I've added the
hyphen. Thanks!

jao
--
You are never too old to be what you might have been.
 -George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans), novelist (1819-1880)