ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 18:43:21 +0200

On 2014-08-12 at 17:30, Samuel Thibault wrote:

     [Samuel:]
>> > But you have completely stripped what I was talking all about:
>> > “marvelous sexual technique”. I was just saying that somebody who
>> > would be offensed by such topics should not have to fear hearing some of
>> > that at GHM, or that at least s⋅he can ask for that to stop.
>> [Luca:]
>> "Fear of hearing" is an interesting concept.
>
> ?!
>
> Please discuss with some girl who actually has been harassed at some
> free software meeting.

No, you were talking about an imaginary person who is scared of hearing
about sexual techniques to the point of requiring an explicit guarantee
not to be exposed to such speech before attending an event.

That is way beyond reasonable.  As much as people like to pretend that
"words are like bullets", the truth is that they are not.

> Let's say during some technical talk about bad programming style, the
> speaker keeps saying, about the source code on the slide "this is sooo
> gay!"  Somebody in the audience asks him to stop this kind of joke,
> because he feels offended.
>
> Is that censor[ship]?

It is, by definition.  But in that case I would oppose the speaker as
well as I'm sure would José and the other GHM people I know.

> I do however believe that this happens in some free software
> communities.  I also believe that it's one of the duties of the GNU
> hackers to express that they consider that bad behavior.

> Even if [not being gratuitously obnoxious to any group] is
> obvious for the GNU hackers

In fact I agree.  We argue a lot but we're more mature than others.  And
since I believe we are, I'll cut it here.

See you at the meeting.

--
Luca Saiu      http://ageinghacker.net
* GNU epsilon: http://www.gnu.org/software/epsilon