Re: [glob2-devel] alpha10 release?

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] alpha10 release?
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:02:55 +0100

Hi,

> I would like to know if there are any major objections to releasing alpha
> 10 as-is. (and document it's weirdnesses when it comes to the current map
> up/download stuff. )

I agree on the idea. It should also include a selection of maps usually played
on YOG, all reloaded/saved to be of the latest format. We should check if
campaign works correctly.

> I would also like to propose this to be the "last" release before the new
> YOG, with prehaps 1 more intermediate release to test any new artwork for
> menus we might have at some point.

I agree but we have to be open to problems/things/fix as they appears.
Creating the new YOG is not a trivial task and before doing so I would still
like to try to fix current issue. I'll see nuage at end of next week.

> this is also why I suggest a branch for the new YOG code, so we can
> "maintain" our current "users" with a playabe experience, while we might
> improve menus somewhat.

I agree, but let's branch only when we really begin.

> I would like (for alpha10)
>
> * README that explains this is alpha blablabla and lists the map
> up/download stuff as a known bug.

This was usually done in the release note file. I suggest we expand the actual
README to contain release notes.

> * Linux binaries for debian, suse 9.x, mdk 10.x and fc 2 and 3
> * Windows binaries + installer

Ok. So I suggest we tag a alpha10rc in the CVS this evening. Then we let
packager do packages, then we tag alpha10 final. The CVS should be
feature-freezed for 2 or 3 days between alpha10rc and alpha10 final.

I suggest we meet on IC this evening, around 20:00 western Europe time.

> I am not able to produce macos binaries myself so I do not want to
> "require" them. if people feel that they ARE required I might be able to
> get one of my friends to build them.

Barock, do you think you could build tomorow or the day after?

> please let me know, I am totally willing to do any work related to
> preparing the alpha10 release by myself, I just want approval (or
> disapproval ;))

We can do it together tomorow if you want.