Re: [glob2-devel] Thats it, we need a plan

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Thats it, we need a plan
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:09:38 +0100

> This is it. I'm starting to get bored. I have nothing to do at nights.
How about going to sleep? ;-)

> I think its about time we sum up everything we want done before 1.0.
> Everything. On this thread. And don't just toss this away like I know
> a bunch of lazy people on the project will. *Everything*. Be specific.
> Don't say "Fix map editor". That doesn't help. If we knew what needed
> fixing, it would probably be already done, or atleast in progress. We
> need to know whats wrong, and what should be done about it. List
> anything and everything for 1.0. The important part of this list is
> that we know when we have achieved everything, rather than being in a
> state of semi confusion with nct suggesting things none of us know how
> to do every so often.
>
> That being said, I'll start off the system with the following:
>     - Buildings should be able to be priorotized. Priorities should be
> fully enforced, if a building being constructed is given a higher
> priority, units won't go to Inns and work their regardless, the
> building has a higher priority, and the units *must* go there if
> possible. For several buildings in the same priority level, normal
> prioritizing rules apply. There should be three priority levels, low,
> medium, and high. New buildings start with medium priority. Priority
> should be adjustable from the side menu, a likely placement is right
> underneath the "number of workers" bar. Flags should also have
> priorities. All buildings should have seperate priorities. The
> difference should be noticable.

This is one thing I want to see changed someday.  For a game which
claims to reduce micromange management, it is not acceptable to be
outperformed in this point by the *craft games.  Our building
construction/upgrading takes much more human involvement than theirs,
because we can't place ten buildings into a queue and expect them to
be constructed efficiently.  In glob2 we would have to wait till
one building is finished then request the next and so on or we
would end up by ten construction sites and no finished building.
I would prefer a queue for building construction/upgrading rather
than your priority system, since it would be simpler for the user.
(First requested job gets done first - reordering is unnecessary.)
But I fear that this would not be as easy to implement as it sounds:
When we have a large colony the player might not want his workers to
travel from one end to the other, if on both ends are jobs with
different priorities.  That applies to your priority system, too.
Priority AND proximity would need to be considered when it comes to
job assignment.  I don't know if this could be done till 1.0 .

When it comes to unit training I don't think I care much if my globs
learn running before swimming.

One problem that I believe has to be dealt with before 1.0 is the
I-have-100-globs-and-most-of-them-seem-to-do-nothing-although-I-have-
requsted-many-jobs-problem.  If this is done by improving the code or
writing user docs which explain why the globs behave in that way,
is less important.
One easy change might be to split the free glob number into three -
each counting free globs regarding their education level.
The tutorial explains this point, but I think it might be a big help
to implement it anyway, because the general glob-job relationship is
too confusing.  To know a part of it for sure and in numbers should
reduce user frustration.

--
Kai Antweiler