Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 15:20:50 -0700

On 5/3/06, Cyrille Dunant <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure to understand, you mean that instead of doing
> > > FormatableString("Hello %s").arg("Beuss); we do something like
> > > FormatableString &fs = FormatableString::getInstance();
> > > fs.setString("Hello %s");
> > > fs.arg("Beuss");
> > > to avoid construction (I guess I'm wrong no ?)
> >
> > no, he just means compiling something using boost can take quite some
> > time
> >
> > :)
>
> I had prevented I was wrong ;)
> So finally, what do we do ? do we vote ? :)

No, you continue your good job. Get rid of the boost dependency, and if
someone needs it anew, we will discuss the reintroduction.

This is my opinion, and only mine :)

--
-- Cyrille Dunant
-- EPFL-IMX-LMC

   God is a comic playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh.

Boost shouldn't be removed as a dependancy, at all. Adding the package
as a dependancy at a later point in time is going to be allot more
difficult and will probably keep us from doing it, rather if we keep
it now, you can use boost without extra complications, and without
worrying about dependancies.

Really, dependancies aren't that bad, boost in particular is fairly
good because its included with many popular distros (for example,
fedora has it as a default package for the development tools section).

Dependancies to a user are slightly different. If the user has to
compile the program them self, they probably know what their doing,
n00bs are more likely to use precompiled packages. Precompiled
packages can be statically linked if needed so thats not any sort of a
problem.

Boost is only going to kill a person if they have to compile it
themselves, which is very very rare. I can almost garuntee that if it
is not included by default with the distro, theres a binary of it
somewhere. If all else fails, we can use bcp to import the code.

Dependancies are a pain, but there a one-time pain. 10 minutes to
download a package and start compilation in the worst case scenario,
comparedd to an hour or more spent re-implementing what is already
been implemented.

You guys suffer from Not Invented Here syndrome:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Invented_Here