Re: [glob2-devel] Flame thread (insults, code rewrite and other trolls!)

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Flame thread (insults, code rewrite and other trolls!)
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 14:15:34 +1200

Slightly offtopic (cant be bother searching trach bin for the old emails), coming from a players viewpoint (not a developers) I would have to say to keep dependancies. Those who know how to compile (or even use linux) would be able to easily download boost. And if it means cleaner, faster, and more maintainable updates, then I'm all for the extra one time 5 min compile. Just my two cents :D

On 5/6/06, Kai Antweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
> I can't work on the project. Although I've tried very hard to be
> productive, and I tried to stop being pessissmistic, and it sort of
> blew up in my face, I had to ask several questions to nct on the map
> rewrite, i got barely a ninth of the way in and got lost.

Does indeed not sound like fun.

> Then you guys mention that we shouldn't use boost, and, in particular,
> everyone agrees dependancies are bad. This doesn't make me happy,

Well, I believe it was 4 against 2 on this, and most didn't care.
Taken into account that Steph what's to keep boost we were at least
even on that point.

> maybe if we used a few dependancies our code would be cleaner, easier,
> and more productive.

Very likely.

> Maybe if we had used existing alternatives to the streams, widgets,
> and SGSL libraries maybe the project would be simpler. The libraries,
> atleast (if we didn't pick the worst of possibilities), would be
> documented, tested, debugged, etc.. That way I could be productive,
> and, because so little time was spent doing streams, widgets, and
> SGSL, glob2 as a whole would be more complete as well.
>
> I feel quite bad about myself that I can't understand most of the
> code, its rather complex, undocumented, and very hackish in feel (as
> in hack fixes), but nevertheless its code, and i should be able to
> read it.

Don't underestimate complexity.  The easiest things become impossible,
if you increase complexity enough.  If you try hard enough you can
write code the Knuth won't understand.

--
Kai Antweiler