Re: [glob2-devel] server issues

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] server issues
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:49:39 -0400

well, I was going to wait until I got the data back along with the hard drives and take pictures, but I'll share the info now. (NCT has been kept updated the whole time by the way).

From the final looks, it seems that the PSU sent a power surge to the motherboard, raid array, backup HD, and the CD/DVD drives. The weird thing is nothing else on that surge protector died. Now, when I hooked in a second PSU the motherboard somehow killed that one too, so I have some weird feeling that the motherboard somehow might've shorted something causing too much power to go back to the PSU to make it surge everything.

So far I can't prove anything except that when I plug a perfectly working PSU into that motherboard it goes boom. As of right now I have gone through several RMAs (thanks i-star for working with me and not stopping me from RMA'ing all the test PSUs).  I got one right now that I'm not plugging in to blow up, so I have that new part.

Moving on. When it blew up I decided that, largely because I didn't have enough time in my life to properly setup a good backup system for glob2 to remote servers, 2 days until the VPS had been setup for me :/ (although I'm surprised that with the amount of people with shell access that wanted to do remote backups didn't take action to set one up) and somewhat for my own data, I decided to take the HDs to a data recovery service.

It's costing me a small fortune, but I would like to send thanks to ocdatarecovery.com for doing a great job. The power surge fried the mechanical parts in both hard drives and melted some of the platters in one, but they managed to get 100% of the data error free from the other drive! I'm sending them the money and authorization form today and hopefully picking up the new drive tomorrow.

First thing I plan on doing is getting a DVD-burner and getting all the data on DVDs that won't be destroyed by anything else. After that I'll be uploading a copy to Steph while I work on getting a new motherboard, and I don't know if I can also afford another SATA 10k RPM raid array, but I will be doing full backups to DVD-Rs roughly once a week now along with doing daily database backup uploads to the server at the address of drazak.net

Hopefully my server will be completely up and running by the end of the week if I can get a new motherboard in by then, and then if Steph would still like to use my hosting that is fine by me, or if he wants to switch hosts I will have no hard feelings and will help as much as possible in the transition, and still help out with other stuff because of my love of the game and the community around it.

Also, if the one HD is distorted as much as I'm told to the point where it looks "wicked sick", I'll take pictures of why having a mirrored raid array is a life/data saver.

here's to a good 2+ years to that healthy server, and to the glorious new one that will be put in it's place

cheers,
Kyle