Re: [glob2-devel] the beginning of mac OS X development

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] the beginning of mac OS X development
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:19:14 +0200

> The numbering scheme seems to be a matter of believes  ...
> I think only debian cares about the alpha keyword.
> And only our *.deb files are called alpha.

I mean as in verbal chat, when people talk to eachother, and on the
website, we always say "Alpha 21" or "Alpha 16" or something along
those lines.

> I think 0.9 would be more consistent than 0.21 .

This isn't a bad idea, our next release could be version 0.9, and we
start counting up from there on our release candidates for 1.0.

> Hey, have a look:
>  SCons 0.96.95 (candidate for 0.97) ...
> Now, we know the meaning of .8. in our version numbering.

Still, 0.8 has lost its physical meaning, since the project has been
on 0.8 for so long.

Maybe I don't remember well, but I think that the 0.8 where supposed
to be alphas and the 0.9 would be betas. But I totally agree that this
doesn't mean anything anymore because we have been on 0.8 for so long.

> I have googled to compare scons and cmake.
> And scons was the definite looser.
> - portability issues on non-unix systems.
> - slow development
> - KDE really wanted to use this, but gave up.
>   Now they use cmake.

I have successfully deployed Scons on windows, in fact it seemed
trivial to do, much easier than using autotools or similar. The only
downside I feel for scons is its autoconf like functionality, which is
lacking somewhat. However, again, since scons uses python, its
possible and easy to wrap programs like SDL-config on unix or develop
the tests on our own. Boost and sdl libraries are named consistently
so they are no issue.

I've heard allot about the popularity of Cmake, allot of people like
it. I have little experience with it so I can't argue its benefits.

Although I have never used it, I have read (from the LWN article) that
using CMake you can generate either a Makefile to build on UNIX, or a
KDevelop project, or an XCode project, or an MS Visual Studio project.

This means that with a single configuration, you can target multiple
build systems quite easily.

> http://lwn.net/Articles/188693/
> http://swik.net/SCons+cmake
>
> But I didn't spend much time on this research.
>
> Just looked into the scons Changelog:
> latest stable release:
> RELEASE 0.96.1 - Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:55:50 +0000
> http://www.scons.org/CHANGES.txt
>

> Another system would be bjam which is used and written by the boost
developers.